Recycling in the art room

I am taking a break from writing about my awesome trip to London this summer to explain how I recycle in the art room. Recycling in the art room is more than just saving those scraps of paper or bits of yarn.  I recycle some items to make life in the art room a little easier and on a limited budget it saves money.
                                                       My top 5 recycling ideas:

1. Cardboard drink carriers: We all know how when kids are using watercolor paints, someone no matter the grade spills their water container.  I have pretty much solved this problem by using drink carriers and yogurt containers. The drink carrier holds 4 cups/yogurt containers.  The Yoplait fit in there snugly.  I lay the paint trays in the middle with the brushes. It's organized and clean up is easy.

2. Plastic Creamer Containers: (liquid) (Coffemate or those similar) I use the extra large ones to fill with water and the kids can pour it into the yogurt containers when we are watercolor painting, The are great for storing beads, pompoms, sand for sand art, I have sued them to make bobble heads and roman vases.

3. Science Display Boards: You know the kind you use for the science fair project and then.... I cut them up and we create 3-D art from them, There are always plenty at the end of the year because the kids don't want to take them home.

4. Clear overhead sheets: Back in the day before we had document cameras and smart boards we wrote on the overhead projector.  Those sheets, probably hidden in that teacher's closet who hoarded everything, are great for creating Chuiley sculptures, stained glass designs and other pictures.

5. Glue Tops: Doesn't matter what brand.  I use these for printing circles to create designs or "gumballs" if where are making a Thiebaud inspired gumball machine.  They are perfect for little hands to hold onto the top and press down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sights & Sounds of Bath, UK and London

Let's draw desserts!

Merging Art with Reading, Math and Science