The National Gallery / Trafalgar Square


 Tuesday, June 25 





Matisse


I think I spent a lot of my time just
staring at the paintings.  I learned quite a bit about how artists during this time created their own canvases (wooded panels they connected together to create the large paintings)  and that they used a cartoon to place on the surface they painted on to create a sort of blueprint before actually painting. Fascinating! During the 16th century, portraits were valued as were Christian subjects. But during this time a move by the Renaissance painters their work included ancient history and mythology   We looked at 17th century work in which religious subjects were painted in ways to engage the viewers and invoke an emotional response. During this time artists were commissioned to paint by the church, nobles and the monarchy.
After our class session ended Alex and I explored the rest of the National Gallery and I was not disappointed. I'll let some of the work speak for themselves.  Several of the pieces I saw were ones I use as examples when introducing an artist to my students.  I am sure my mouth hung open while staring, and a few times I got a little to close to the paintings.
da Vinci's cartoon

Leonardo da Vinci

When we think of da Vinci, the Mona Lisa, the Lord's Supper or maybe even the Viturvian Man is what come to the mind of many people but he was much more than that. He painted, sculpted, was a scientist, mathematician and inventor. Just to glimpse at a few of his pieces on display was awe inspiring.












Monet's : Sainte'.-Adresse near Monet's home

Monet: Lavacourt under Snow


Monet' Garden


Bathers at Ansieres by Seurat

Van Gogh's Chair


Henry Rousseau: Tiger in a Tropical Storm

The National Gallery engages students through their "Take One Picture" project.  More on that another day but it is something I will be doing with my students this school year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sights & Sounds of Bath, UK and London

Let's draw desserts!

Merging Art with Reading, Math and Science